Monday, November 10, 2008

Pearls Before Swine

*)


OK, let's be honest: My rezday party was a bit of a disappointment this year. I did get some visitors, I did get some presents (including a hippopotamus, which is a BIG present indeed), and Sam did a new stand-up comedy. But the turnout was a lot less than last year.

I see this too often in Second Life **) : People put a lot of effort into events, make very beautiful buildings, create cool products... And nobody even bothers to have a look at them! Personally I have grown over it: I feel a great deal of satisfaction in just building things I like. But I have friends from all over the world who put lots of work and money into starting a business, only to see it fail.

Now if they made a mess of their business, it would be easy to understand: People will not buy crap. SL is almost like RL in that way. But when I see real good stuff that gets no attention at all, it makes me feel sad. Avatars seem to go after only two things: FREE SEX and FREE L$. Bummer...

*): Picture by Tull kit, see http://www.fotolog.com/tullkit
**): Second Life is, of course, a registered trademark of Linden Labs.

No comments:

Post a Comment